Thursday, May 12, 2005

'Gamblin' Man' turns 90


Honeyboy Edwards will celebrate his 90th birthday in a few weeks. He's been playing the blues since he turned 13. Honeyboy was with Robert Johnson when he died that Wednesday way back in '38. Last night he shared some of his adventures over the last eight decades. Told me about drinking white whiskey with Alan Lomax. Talked about getting his head cut open over a woman named Betty. Even showed me how to slip a loaded pair of dice into a game and back out again. I can't think of a better way to spend a few hours than with this man. It was an honor and a privilege.

Photo by Chester Arthur Burnett

Comments:
Awesome!
 
Very cool, Mr. Burnett. What did Honeyboy have to say when he heard that name? You, the reincarnate Wolf hisself?
 
He said I could be Honeyboy II when he passes. I just sent the story and photo to the Silver City Daily Press. The editor is sending me a couple copies of the May 20th edition.
 
Honeyboy II. It's starting to sound papal. Better name for you would be "Mulemeat" or "Porkrind". I got it, how about "Blind Boy Grunt"?
 
I think "Blind Dog," or "The Revelator" are much more appropriate.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?