Sunday, November 27, 2005

Where God Got Silly


This is the Chiricahua National Monument, a "sky island" consisting of about 13,000 acres of federally protected mountain land rising above a surrounding grassland "sea." The monument is surrounded by the immense (80,000-plus acres) Chiricahua Mountains and Wilderness/Coronado National Forest.

In a Dr. Seuss sort of way, God got silly here. These wonderful rock formations are a sight to behold. Plus, there are all sorts of trees -- sycamore, juniper, oak, cypress, pine, fir. The great Sonoran and Chihuahuan deserts meet here and the combined wilderness contains all sorts of animal life: myriad bird species, black bear, rattlesnakes, peccaries (wild pig or javelina), cougar, deer, foxes, coatli (raccoon-type of critter), skunks, and as recently as 1996 a jaguar was shot by a Willcox rancher. There have been quite a few jaguar sightings in the region over the years, as evidenced in an interesting book at the park's excellent Visitors Center.

The Apache hid here. The effectiveness of their redoubt is proven in the fact that the United States Army could not defeat the fierce Apache during three decades in the late 1800s.






Comments:
Looks like you had some fun!
 
Yeah, great posting! Nice work.
 
The bottom photo I took by setting my camera on a rock ledge, which you can see in the corner. Fill flash and a remote control did the rest.
 
Those are truly fabulous pics, Chronicler - thanks for sharing them ... =)Definitely makes me want to go camping too.....
 
:-]

wow, thanks, and i can't wait to go again !
 
Har-de-har-har. Annonymus, the Greek oracle. Prophet and seer of the new century.
 
"Anonymous" ... whoever you are ... that comment is outta line, you pencil-neck geek.
 
I love these anonymous slugs. They come out of the woodwork and then don't have the cojones to even use their own name. I can only imagine, given that the counter is at 1618, that there are lots of mugs that look that never even talk anonymously.
 
I know Peggi in the past has had trouble with lamebrains posting on her blog. If necessary, we can always delete asinine comments.

This subject causes me to think of a line by Jules from "Pulp Fiction":

The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.
 
Ouch. Ain't it easier to just delete them?
 
That being said, anonymous disappears...
 
Yes, of course, deletion is the solution.

I couldn't help but quoting that funny line from "Pulp Fiction." When Jules (Samuel L. Jackson) delivers the line (twice, changing it the second time), he says it's Ezekiel 25:17, but when you look up that scripture reference in the real Bible, it becomes obvious that he has enhanced the passage!
 
Ah, Theo. Don't speak too soon. When I read Ezekiel 25:17, it says, "I will execute great vengeance upon them with wrathful chastisements. Then they will know that I am the Lord, when I lay my vengeance upon them."

He's whackin' Phillistines just like I whacked anonymous.
 
Maybe it's just a versional dispute. Quentin Tarantino may have been roman catholic and has ties to some of the apophrycal scriptures
 
Tarantino puts Jeremiah and Ezekiel into a modern vernacular.

What's the difference between Samuel L. Jackson's gun-toting character laying waste to opposing forces and the ancient Israelite tribes putting thousands to the sword?
 
Hah. None, my friend. That is, if they were truly directed by the almighty to smote them.

Read your e-mail for a few more words.
 
OK ... after I get off work. Right now I'm busy saving the world, as you like to put it!
 
In that case, you'll see the wisdom behind my ambiguous commentary. As for right now... I feel pretty safe, so you must be doing your job. Thank you.
 
Did you guys get a raunchy poster too? They are soooo mean. Leo is correct, deleting them is the easiest. That "comment moderation" thing could be a full-time career for somebody......
 
wasn't raunchy, just inappropriate
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?