Friday, June 16, 2006

It Went Like This...

Sam: "Uh. Mr. Ted. I think that says fortissimo not fartissimo. Mr. Bach doesn't have room for improvising"

Ted: "I know, Sam. I keep mixing up those 8th notes with the dotted half notes. I just can't keep this stuff straight. Tell me again. I before E except after high C, right? Aw... I'll never get it."

Sam: "Relax Mr. Ted. It took my dad almost a week to teach me how to read music. You gotta give it time."

Rachel: "Maybe you shouldn't do Bach first. Start with the classics. I hear tell Bach had to practice "Suzy Q" for weeks before he even thought about writing "Tocatta and Fugue in D Minor." After all, Cleveland wasn't built in a day."

Ted: "I know. I've been to Cleveland. Cleveland Rocks. Yet, one weekend in Toledo..."

Sam: "Don't start with Toledo. If I told you all that went down, it'd burn off both your ears."

Comments:
LOL

Nice, Leo.
 
Sam: "Relax Mr. Ted. It took my dad almost a week to teach me how to read music. You gotta give it time."

This reminds me of a sour little lady at my church who always knows everything. I play the piano for Sunday School. One Sunday, she announced to me that she had bought a keyboard. A lady was going to stop by and show her how to read notes and teach her to play one day that week. I have not heard another word about that keyboard. :D
 
HAw. Haw. That's pretty funny.

Ted do you play?
 
Yes, Genevieve, that is funny.

Hugh -- I have memorized several of Bach's Little Preludes, which contain a fair degree of complexity (e.g. the left hand playing sixteenth-notes while the right hand is playing eighth-notes, in independent albeit intertwining melodies -- this is known as polyphony, the flower of the Baroque Era.) But I consider music memorization to be in the realm of paint-by-the-numbers. Otherwise, I am horribly slow at sight reading, and I would be at a loss in a jam session.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?